Header Ads

How to best arrange your iPhone apps, one icon at a time



In the 10 years for the reason that iPhone launched, I’ve by no means actually settled on a method to organize my residence display screen that I really like. Folders appear clunky however no folders leaves me with too many issues a number of swipes away. Organising by what I take advantage of most leaves me with the hardly ever however quickly wanted apps buried, whereas organising by pace of entry leaves me tapping by means of a number of instances a day.

After which there’s aesthetics. Some apps merely don’t should be on my first residence display screen regardless of how a lot I take advantage of them. Largely video games. Sport designers can’t make a lovely icon for the lifetime of them, it appears.

I used to be trapped on the horns of dilemma. So for the previous couple of years, I’ve abdicated all accountability for the choice making, and as a substitute instituted A System: each time I faucet on an app to open it, I transfer it one sq. nearer to the entrance.

That’s it. After all, there are quirks to this technique. For one factor, trying to find an app in highlight, or switching to it by means of multitasking, doesn’t depend – as a result of should you don’t faucet on the icon, you don’t want the icon to be accessible, proper?

Two years down the road I’ve reached a house display screen that vaguely resembles a pleasant combination of my most used, most tapped on and most persistent apps:


In addition to being fairly a superb array of apps, I additionally like what it tells me about my iPhone utilization.

The dock barely modifications at this level, though WhatsApp sometimes fights Spotify for dominance. Duolingo has the benefit of being opened each single day with out fail, RSS app Reeder will get opened at the least twice on weekdays, and Twitter is … properly, Twitter is Twitter. I don’t even hassle to place Duolingo previous it anymore.

The remainder of the primary web page is essentially comprehensible. I’m shocked I nonetheless use Snapchat sufficient for it to be so excessive up, and Well being is slowly falling down the listing now I ended manually logging my weight – who has time for that – however the display screen is a reasonably correct cross-section of what I take advantage of my telephone for.

The second web page follows the identical system. There, you’ll discover just a few of the apps I take advantage of usually, however not by any means day by day, in addition to some, corresponding to safe chat app Wire, which I’ve solely began utilizing just lately however are climbing up the charts.

By the third web page, I break my guidelines. Right here all the things goes in folders, and strikes one folder ahead every time I faucet on it. It’s the one method to keep away from having 40 pages of apps, and it really works pretty properly. It additionally reveals fairly what number of apps I've that I've by no means clicked on. Some, corresponding to Swiftkey or the Pockets app, are nonetheless helpful however simply opened in different methods. Others, such because the World of Warcraft companion app (I don’t play the sport anymore) or taxi app Gett (I don’t take many taxis) I feel I ought to in all probability delete.

There’s additionally the one different rule-breaking I've: a folder for “previous video games”. Typically you simply know once you’re executed with a recreation, however you don’t wish to take away it out of your telephone, you recognize? That’s the place these video games go to hibernate. Possibly I’ll bust out Reigns or Corrypt once more, sooner or later.

I’m fairly positive my means’s the one smart method to organize icons. However I’m prepared to be satisfied in any other case. Anybody acquired any higher concepts?

No comments

Powered by Blogger.